The mission of the Stillwater History Museum at the Sheerar is to receive and collect the material culture of Stillwater, Oklahoma, dating from prehistoric times, but especially from the 1880s to the present; to preserve those materials for the future; to study them to derive information about the past; and to use the knowledge resulting from such study to present to the public the history and culture of the area through all effective means.
Dedicated to collecting, preserving, and interpreting the history of Stillwater, Oklahoma, the Stillwater History Museum seeks to increase public interest in and knowledge of Stillwater history. The Museum features exhibits about Stillwater and Payne County from the first land run that opened Oklahoma Territory for settlement in 1889 to the end of the twentieth century. The museum also features temporary exhibits examining specific subjects and themes are changed annually.
Generations of Stillwater and Stillwater for Generations
Located in a historic setting, the Stillwater History Museum is on the lower level of the Sheerar Cultural and Heritage Center. The historic building was originally constructed in 1928 to house the First Church of Christ Scientist, the first such congregation west of the Mississippi River.
Originally begun by the Stillwater Arts and Humanities Council, the museum opened to the public on November 17, 1974. The building is named for Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Sheerar, whose initial donation of $25,000 was matched by community-wide fundraising, for a total of $80,000. This enabled the Council to purchase the building, from the First Church of Christ Scientist, to house the museum. Since 1989, the Sheerar Museum has been owned and governed by the Stillwater Museum Association, a non profit 501 (c) (3) corporation. In 2017, the museum's name was changed to the Stillwater History Museum at the Sheerar.