Located in a historic setting, the Sheerar Museum of Stillwater History is on the lower level of the Sheerar Cultural and Heritage Center. The historic building was originally constructed in 1928 to house the First Church of Christ Scientist, the first such congregation west of the Mississippi River.
Originally begun by the Stillwater Arts and Humanities Council, the Museum opened to the public on November 17, 1974. The Museum is named for Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Sheerar, whose initial donation of $25,000 was matched by community-wide fundraising, for a total of $80,000. This enabled the Council to purchase the building, from the First Church of Christ Scientist, to house the Museum. Since 1989, the Sheerar Museum has been owned and governed by the Stillwater Museum Association, a non profit 501 (c) (3) corporation.
The upper level houses the Sheerar Cultural Center Auditorium. The Auditorium features original theater style wood seating and will accommodate 200 people. A stage is available as well as a piano for musical performances. The auditorium is available for rent to individuals and groups for musical events, educational programs, meetings, pageants, receptions, weddings and other social gatherings.
Amy Loch, Director
For questions about fees and availability contact the Museum office at: